· Remote Sensing Methods and Applications
· Spatial Statistics and Environmental Statistics
· Geographic Information Systems and Science
· Land Use and Land Cover Change
· Ph.D. in Environmental Science, University of California, Berkeley, 2006
· M.A. in Statistics, University of California, Berkeley, 2004
· M.S. in Environmental Science, University of California, Berkeley, 2003
· B.E. in GIS, Wuhan University, China, 2001
· Associate Professor, Environmental Science Graduate Program, The Ohio State University, Since 2012.
· Associate Professor, Department of Geography (75%) and Department of Statistics (25%), The Ohio State University, Since 2012.
· Assistant Professor, Department of Geography (75%) and Department of Statistics (25%), The Ohio State University, 2006-2012.
· Affiliate Faculty, Institute for Population Research, The Ohio State University, Since 2009.
· Affiliate Faculty, The Climate, Water, and Carbon Program, The Ohio State University, Since 2008.
· Affiliate Faculty, Center for Urban and Regional Analysis, The Ohio State University, Since 2007.
· Affiliate Faculty, Program in Spatial Statistics and Environmental Statistics, The Ohio State University, Since 2006.
· Graduate Student Researcher, Graduate Student Instructor, Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management, University of California at Berkeley, 2001-2006.
· Geography 5100 – Quantitative Geographical Methods
· Geography 5270 – Geographic Applications of Remote Sensing
· Geography 8102 – Application of Quantitative Methods in Geography
· Geography 8104 – Advanced Remote Sensing
· Statistics 3450 – Basic Statistics for Engineers
· Statistics 6530 – Introduction to Spatial Statistics
· Public Health 274 – GIS and Remote Sensing in Public Health (co-taught with Dr. Edmund Seto at UC Berkeley)
· Zhu, X. and D. Liu. 2013. An MAP-MRF approach to Landsat ETM+ SLC-off image classification. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing.
· Kumar, S., R. Lal, and D. Liu. 2013. Mapping the spatial distribution of organic carbon density for the soils of Ohio, USA. Journal of Geographical Sciences.
· Wan, R., D. Liu, D. Munroe, and S. Cai. 2013. Modeling the potential hydrological impact of abandoned underground mines in Monday Creek Watershed, Ohio. Hydrological Processes.
· Cressie, N. and D. Liu. 2012. Geographic Information Systems (GIS), spatial statistics in. Encyclopedia of Environmetrics, 2nd eds, A. H. El-Shaarawi and W. W. Piegorsch. Wiley, New York.
· Kumar, S., R. Lal, and D. Liu. 2012. A geographically weighted regression kriging approach for mapping soil organic carbon stock. Geoderma 189-190: 627-634.
· Zhu, X., D. Liu, and J. Chen. 2012. A new geostatistical approach for filling gaps in Landsat ETM+ SLC-off images. Remote Sensing of Environment 124: 49-60.
· Liu, D. and X. Zhu. 2012. An enhanced physical method for downscaling thermal infrared radiance. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters 9(4): 690-694.
· Guo, Q., W. Li, D. Liu, J. Chen. 2012. A framework for supervised image classification with incomplete training samples. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 78: 595-604.
· Durand, M.T. and D. Liu. 2012. The need for prior information in characterizing snow water equivalent from microwave brightness temperatures. Remote Sensing of Environment 126: 248-257.
· Li, W., J. Radke, D. Liu, and P. Gong. 2012. Measuring detailed urban vegetation with multi-source high-resolution remote sensing imagery for environmental design and planning. Environment and Planning B, Planning and Design 39(3): 566-585.
· Zhu, X., F. Gao, D. Liu, and J. Chen. 2012. A modified neighborhood similar pixel interpolator approach for removing thick clouds in Landsat images. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters 9(3): 521-525.
· Liu, D. and S. Cai. 2012. A spatial-temporal modeling approach to reconstructing land-cover change trajectories from multi-temporal satellite imagery. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 102(6): 1329-1347.
· Pu, R. and D. Liu. 2011. Segmented canonical discriminant analysis of in situ hyperspectral data for identifying thirteen urban tree species. International Journal of Remote Sensing 32(8): 2207-2226.
· Liu, D. and F. Xia. 2010. Assessing object-based classification: advantages and limitations. Remote Sensing Letters 1(4): 187-194.
· Mishra, U., R. Lal, D. Liu, and M.V. Meirvenne. 2010. Predicting the spatial variation of soil organic carbon pool at a regional scale. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74(3): 906-914.
· Liu, D., and Y. Chun. 2009. The effects of different classification models on error propagation in land cover change detection. International Journal of Remote Sensing 30(20): 5345-5364.
· Kang, E.L., D. Liu, and N. Cressie. 2009. Statistical analysis of small-area data based on independence, spatial, non-hierarchical, and hierarchical models. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 53:3016-3032.
· Mishra, U., R. Lal, B. Slater, F. Calhoun, D. Liu, and M.V. Meirvenne. 2009. Predicting soil organic carbon stock within different depth intervals using profile depth distribution functions and ordinary kriging. Soil Science Society of America Journal 72(2): 614-621.
· Kelly, M., D. Liu, B. McPherson, D. Wood, and R. Standiford. 2008. Spatial pattern dynamics of oak mortality and associated disease symptoms in a California hardwood forest affected by sudden oak death. Journal of Forest Research 13:312-319.
· Liu, D., and R. Pu. 2008. Downscaling thermal infrared radiance for subpixel land surface temperature retrieval. Sensors 8: 2695-2706.
· Liu, D., K. Song, J.R. Townshend, and P. Gong. 2008. Using local transition probability models in Markov random fields for forest change detection. Remote Sensing of Environment 112(5): 2222-2231.
· Liu, D., M. Kelly, P. Gong, and Q. Guo. 2007. Characterizing spatial-temporal tree mortality patterns associated with a new forest disease. Forest Ecology and Management 253: 220-231.
· Kelly, M., Q. Guo, D. Liu, and D. Shaari. 2007. Modeling the risk of a new invasive forest disease in the United States: an evaluation of five environmental niche models. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 31(6): 689-710.
· Guo, Q., M. Kelly, P. Gong, and D. Liu. 2007. An object-based classification approach in mapping tree mortality using high spatial resolution imagery. GIScience and Remote Sensing 44(1): 24-47.
· Liu, D., M. Kelly, and P. Gong. 2006. A spatial-temporal approach to monitoring forest disease spread using multi-temporal high spatial resolution imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment 101(2): 167-180.
· Liu, D., P. Gong, M. Kelly, and Q. Guo. 2006. Automatic registration of airborne images with complex local distortion. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 72(9): 1049-1059.
· Kim, A., D. Liu, and P. Gong. 2004. Change detection from SPOT-Panchromatic imagery at the urban-rural fringe of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Annals of GIS 10(1): 42-48.
· Kelly, M. and D. Liu. 2004. Mapping diseased oak trees using ADAR imagery. Geocarto International 19(1): 57-64.
· Kelly, M., D. Shaari, Q. Guo, and D. Liu. 2004. A comparison of standard and hybrid classifier methods for mapping hardwood mortality in areas affected by sudden oak death. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 70(11): 1229-1239.
Honors and Awards
· Lawrence A. Brown Faculty Fellowship, Department of Geography, The Ohio State University, 2011
· Robert N. Colwell Memorial Fellowship, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS), 2006
· First Place in Student Honors Paper Competition, Remote Sensing Specialty Group, Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers (AAG), Chicago, 2006
· Association of American Geographers International Geographic Information Fund (AAG-IGIF), 2005
· Student Scholarship, Sudden Oak Death Science Symposium, Monterey, 2005
· Graduate Student Paper Award, University Consortium of Geographic Information Science (UCGIS), 2004
· Travel Award, First Symposium for the Earth Systems Scholars Network, Adelphi, Maryland, 2004
· NASA Earth System Science Fellowship, NASA, 2003~2006
· Student Scholarship, Sudden Oak Death Science Symposium, Monterey, 2002